Monday 6 February 2017

Individual Practice - Penguin Design Award - Initial Ideas

Concept one: 


This version of the front cover was inspired by patterns design. I created an illustration of the feather which was repeated through the front cover. I have experimented with two versions of it in white and black colour. In the middle of the page I have used the title and the name of the author. I have also changed the opacity of the image under the text to make is stand out more from the busy background. Overall I feel the designs are successful especially the white one as it's clear. 

Concept two:


This approach was inspired by the poster which I have found in polish language. Also I have tried to include silhouette in my design. I used the illustration of the tree for the background to make it look busy.  So far I am not feeling as this design is successful. 

Concept three:


This approach was inspired by the illustration which I have annotated in my research of using typography. Also existing covers for this book include silhouette designs, so I thought it would be quite interesting to go with this idea. As the design on the white background looked too plain and boring. I have used an illustration of the tree changing the opacity of it and colour to make the background look more interesting and pleasing. 

Feedback:

- I like the first one in white, with the repetition of the feather, but I saw many people taking this kind of approach. I think you should go with the last one as it is interesting as well. 

- The last one, I really like the way you positioned the text on the bird. 

- The first one looks to classic and simple. The last one is more interesting and I feel it is more appealing to people. 

- The second concept is quite cool, but if you would like to go with this idea I think you should work more on it as the design is quite boring.

- I really the first design (white one) as the black one is to dark. But I agree with the first comment as many people has took this concept. I think the last one is successful as well but you should change the position of the first letter 'T' as it's quite hard to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment