Wednesday 3 February 2016

Secret 7 - Research/ Initial ideas

My first attempt to this brief was to research about the track which I have chose and the artist which is Max Richter. Richter plays piano, organ, synths and low-thrumming electronics; the American Contemporary Music Ensemble adds soft-hewn vocals and strings. It’s a warm, slow-moving daydream with no sharp edges and a self-consciously hazy sound, as if recorded next door or underwater. 

I have looked at different symbols of night, sleep and death together to find some inspiration, but firstly I have watched the video of the track which gave me an idea to look at different illustrations of the moon, because I have realized that the video use a lot of illustrations of it, on the beginning of the video you can see the moon phases so it gave a first idea for the design for cover. 

                                    

My first idea for the cover was to create an illustration of the moon phases as it would symbolise night and sleep (see 1st and 2nd sketch below). The illustration of the moon would be in white, bright colour and the background would be whole black to create the contrast between colours.


moon phases 1st sketch. 

moon phases 2nd sketch.

Using PhotoShop I have move my sketches forward to the digital version. I think the idea is good, but is very similar to the photos which I have seen on the internet. I would have to look for something more than this. My digital version of sketches:



Using PhotoScape to make it interesting I have added some effects to my design:




Furthermore, the video contain Max Ritcher who is playing on the piano. It gave me an idea of creating an illustration of a man playing on the piano. Firstly I have researched some illustrations on the internet looking for any inspiration:



I have also looked at Chinese Yin I Yang symbol which represents perfect balance. I have looked again at the video, which gave me an idea to use this symbol to my illustration. I have done couple of sketches with my ideas also the digital version of it as you can see below. 






In this design I have connected all aspects in a one design. I had use an illustration of the moon and piano keyboard. I really like the second design, but I think I would have to think of something else as it doesn't show the meaning of the symbol Yin Yang (perfect balance). Also looking at the first one is way too simple. Digital version: 
















No comments:

Post a Comment