Thursday 11 February 2016

Secret 7 - Interim Crit/ Initial Ideas - Secret 7

Today's lesson we had interim crit. We have been divided into small groups and asked to talk with each others about our work. I think having this crit today it was a good idea as I have found out that people who has chose the same track as me, had the same ideas of designing moon and a man playing on the piano. It made me think that my idea is to obvious and to simple. I forced my brain to think about 'dreams' in a different way. I had looked at some myths and legends about dreams. I have found a web page about Ancient Greek God (Morpheus) who is a God of dreams. Morpheus was one of the primeval gods, descended from Nyx, the dark goddess of night who was the mother of everything mysterious and anything that was inexplicable, such as death, disease, dreams, ghosts, dreams, witchcraft and enchantments. The drug Morphine which, as a side effect can cause hallucinations, was named after Morpheus. Morpheus was the eldest son of Hypnos the God of sleep and the leader of the Oneroi. The brothers were triplets and all gods of dreams. Morpheus and the Oneroi are always depicted with wings that conveyed they were gifted with magic and the power of flight. Each of the Oneiroi had a specific area of responsibility in relation to dreams and dreaming

"Dreams surely are difficult, confusing, and not everything in them is brought to pass for mankind. For fleeting dreams have two gates: one is fashioned of horn and one of ivory. Those which pass through the one of sawn ivory are deceptive, bringing tidings which come to nought, but those which issue from the one of polished horn bring true results when a mortal sees them." 



During my research I have found an interesting article about symbols of Morpheus.
The symbols of Morpheus were wings and poppies and these are often featured in depictions of the god of dreams. According to Greek mythology there was a garden of poppies at the entrance of his palace in the Underworld. Poppies symbolized death, eternal sleep and oblivion. The hypnotic properties of the poppy has long been used to treat insomnia allowing sleep to people who have trouble sleeping. This gave me an idea of using an illustration of poppies in my design for the cover. Furthermore, I should be careful as poppies are also the symbol of war. 


Using Photoshop and my sketches of the moon and poppies I have created couple of illustrations for my cover.


During the next step I have done a bit more research of different illustrations with poppies which symbolise 'sleep'. I have noticed that most of the illustrations include poppies as a symbol of 'war'.
I have looked at different colour's meaning. I think it would be a good idea to try to change the colour of poppies in my design because I don't want to make people think of war looking at my design. Also instead of using dark, bloody red colour for poppies I will try to make the  red colour bright and weathered.


Blue: symbolises trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven. Also is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect.
Purple: represents meanings of wealth, extravagance, creativity, wisdom, dignity, grandeur, devotion, peace, pride, mystery, independence, and magic.

I have changed the colours of this illustration. I think it looks more interesting. I really like this idea but I think is way to simple and childish. I would have to think of something new. 





No comments:

Post a Comment