Wednesday 20 January 2016

The brief 1 - Wayfinding

The place which I chose to improve is Leeds College of Art. The main reason wanting to redesign the signage in this place is because certain aspects I feel could be improved to a point of where the signs are much clear and legible to students/teachers and visitors by also the signages are limited. As you can see on the photo of original signage which I posted below there is a third floor which is included; however it is irrelevant as access is not allowed by students or teachers. Also there is lots of different numbers of the rooms included, which I think it is unnecessary to have them as it is making people confused because some of them are not in the right positions. Currently the signage is almost impossible to read form a reasonable distance. This shouldn't be the case with way finding, it should be legible and easy to read from the distance.







Instead of using one colour, I have chose three colours which I am going to use. I thought that a small, square of colour within the sign would work better. Also I will use black colour for text because it will contrast well to the colourful background. I have created  three columns, where I am going to put all the informations (blue- courses, green- amenities and yellow- facilities).




My standard signing font which is only used in desings is  ‘Century Gothic Bold’. 
In the sense of a navigational system a sans-serif font is more appropriate to use at a larger  
and smaller scale which makes the text legible and readable from the distance.  


The black, bold type in capital letters on colourful background creates a very clear contrast, allowing readers to read the text quickly without having to stop and stare at the signage. Increasing the font weight of the text means that it also contrasts more, increasing it's overall legibility from a distance. I wanted bold, high contrasting signs pictograms to ensure full visibility from any angle and within a reasonable distance.





Example of ground floor             

Looking at my sketches I really liked the idea of creating a wayfinding system in a form of stairs because it makes the design legible, easy to read and it well represents every single floor. Three different colours separate and makes the information easy and quickly to read without making people to stop and stare at it to find their direction. They can easily just find the colour of thing they looking for without reading all the information. Having a discussion with people about my work it gave me an idea of creating a map legend. 


 I wanted to make my design much more interesting and use my imagination to create something creative as LCA is a school with creative subjects and people. Firstly I have done couple of sketches with different designs which I am considering to use. 



Using my sketches I have created a digital version of my sketches using my three colours (blue, green and yellow) I think it makes it look more interesting and creative. 






Using the photos which I have done in LCA I have edited them and used my designs which I have created to show the way the walls would look. I think those designs are successful and shows what I wanted to achieve at the beginning.  I think the design is suitable for the artistic school. The colours are bright and warm and works well together. Asking friends, class mates and other people about design, they were very optimistic saying that the design would be easier for them to use my navigation system as it is very simple, friendly and welcoming. 















No comments:

Post a Comment