Tuesday 27 October 2015

Studio Brief 01 - Logotype

On Friday's lesson we have been given a new brief to produce a series of logotypes for a rebrand of my chosen company. Using only tape we have to experiment with scale, stroke, spacing, contrast and alignment to interpret our companies. I was researching a lot of companies and looking on their logos which I would like to change also was looking for some of the companies which files for bankruptcy or are not sucesfull. I will consider those companies to rebrand:

- American Apparel
- H&M
- Primark
- Mexx
- Quiksilver
- Gap
- Coffee Republic

Couple of pictures which i took:



















The brand which I choose to re brand is 'Coffee Republic'. I have choose it as I think their logo is not successful and looking on it you can't clearly say what the brand is about, mainly because of the little hearth on the end of the text which makes people confused.   I will try to give it more 'Retro' and 'Vintage' look aiming to 18 - 40 aged audience that looks for something alternative.

I did a research about well known international companies and their logos which everyone from us could recognize them even coming from different countries. The companies which grabbed my attention are 'Starbucks', 'Costa', 'Apple', 'Ikea', 'Coca - Cola, 'Nike'. Their logo's are quite simple but very brave and unique at the same time and has been many years with those companies. I will try to give my logo a successful and recognisable look which would grab people attention and stick to the costumers minds.




Orginal Starbucks logo






Orginal Coca - Cola logo


                                     







- First of all I was looking at different font styles. I wanted to choose the most appropriate one to the target audience and theme. The one which I chose for my final logo is 'Birds of paradise' as I believe is the most appropriate and has 'Retro' and 'Vintage' look.

- On the start I have sketched numerous of different ideas from the pictures I have found on the internet which really inspired me. I really like the ones in the circles, with the text around it or without it.




- After choosing appropriate font I have tried to create my first logo from the sketches which I did in my sketchbook. I really like this logo as it is simple but different type face of 'coffee' and image of little coffee beans makes the it look interesting.



- In my second step I took my logo a bit further adding a symbol of a coffee cup and smoke going out the cup. Also as I said on the beginning I was looking more on the logos in the circle with the text around it or without it.  I was also playing with different colours to find the most appropriate one. I think their are successful but if I would like to go with this idea as my final, I would have to change it a bit because the lines are too thin. On the small scale the logo wouldn't work and it would not be clearly seen from the distance. 


- As my last idea wasn't as much successful as I want it to be, I tried to push it further. I have made the lines and text bold as I think this improved my logo. It's clear and it can be used in different scales (small one and big ones). Also it has vintage and retro look which I was aiming to. 



- Using this kind of idea I tried to stick to their symbol from original logo which is 'heart'. I think it looks interesting, it has also retro and vintage look, but I think is still not eye catching and successful as I want it to be.  



- Looking at different symbols of coffee shops I found an idea of 'Rosetta art coffee'. I tired to play with different colours to chose the most appropriate one. Looking at them I still really like the white logo on back background I think those colours makes it unique. I like the one with black logo on white background as well but I think it looks very simple and similar to the logos of different brands. 


- Speaking with people and my teachers from the course, it gave an idea to try create a logo only with the text without the shapes around it. I really like this logo as I think this one is the most successful one. I have used it as my final one. 



- Using my final logo I have designed coffee cups and edited original 'Coffee Republic' web page.





On final day of our project for re branding chosen brand we have been giving feedback each other in the class. I get lots of positive feedback on my logo also I get couple of suggestions what could I change if we would have more time to develop it.

What some of the people think I should change:

- 'Space between R and C need closing'.
- 'Space between R and epublic need closing'.
- 'Logo (with Rosetta art) looks better'.






No comments:

Post a Comment